How to get started on mobile development

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 8 13:17:32 UTC 2013

On 7 August 2013 22:57, Mauro Souza <thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> A very easy framework is Game Closure (www.gameclosure.com). I installed
> it a couple months ago, messed with it a little but never got time to do
> anything serious. But looks interesting, and creates apps for Android and
> iOS.
> It's javascript/css/html5 based, and says it can achieve native speeds.
>
> Mauro
> http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
> Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.
>

> 2013/8/7 E K <ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a project for mobile app development. I have no idea about how to
>> get started with such a project. Any idea or pointer will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> EK
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

I looked at doing Android development.  Getting started was so painful that
I never really got off the ground (although that may have been pre-ordained
for other reasons).  But the most obvious place to start is here:

https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

You can get the SDK which either includes or requires Eclipse (ugh) and
Android emulators for every rev of the OS you can imagine.  Expect to need
at least 2Gig of HD space (that's gigabytes, it's immense).

One of the things that frustrated me is that a dummy Android project has to
have something on the order of six directories and 12 files, just to
compile and do NOTHING: the Dalvik set-up is that complex.  <sigh>

Also interesting if you have an Android device with a keyboard you can
actually program on is AIDE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui

It's an IDE for Android development that runs on Android.  I did no real
development with it, but succeeded in compiling and running a dummy app far
more easily than with the Android SDK on a Linux machine.  Might be worth
looking at.

Mauro's post relates to doing stuff in HTML/JS/CSS, and that may be a saner
way to work.  You have a much better chance of it also working on iOS if
that's of interest to you.  Beyond that I know nothing about iOS
development.

Finally, I'll put in a pitch for a few favourite apps related to
development: if you have a physical keyboard, "vim touch" is an
almost-complete recreation of (almost) everyone's favourite editor for
Android.  If you don't have a physical keyboard, "The Hacker's Keyboard"
(hey, it's got CTRL and arrow keys) and the "Jota" and "Jota+" editor are
excellent.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/