Raspberry PI Power

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 2 17:24:36 UTC 2013

On 02/08/13 20:46, William Weaver wrote:
> Colin,
>
> My bet is that the logitech unifying receiver and the wifi are both
> requesting a high current usb connection, which is then saturating
> your 1A power source when the RPis load gets high. Would it be
> possible for you to measure your current draw from the externally
> powered power supply?

It is much easier to measure voltage than current. For this one may
connect voltmeter to two points where the first capacitor is connected,
just after USB power supplier. I have for instance the following results:

When no any USB is connected, and nothing else, voltage is 5.18 V with
my USB power supplier.
When I connect USB keyboard only - voltage drops to 5.17
When I connect SSD card only - voltage drops to 5.15 V
With USB keyboard, SSD card and wireless UB mouse - voltage remains 5.15.

These results do not prove much but could indicate on a problem.

Actually, I do have a problem. I would expect that after connecting
keyboard I should have some response from it (LED lights up/down on
keyboard after CapsLock is pressed, etc). Unfortunately, I do not see that.

[...]

zb.