Cutting the Cord

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 21 22:25:03 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Decent question.
>
> I am almost certainly giving up some real-time access to sporting events,
> but that's my choice. I could sign up for MLB.tv, which would give me
> Internet access to every MLB game, Jays and others, for $20 a month.As it
> is, one of the few sports I *do* want to watch (cricket) is an extra cost
> option on Rogers anyway. If you have Bell, Sportsnet One is an extra cost
> package; ditto for TSN2 if you have Rogers. So I'm just glad to get away
> from that mess.
>
> Real-time access to news is not sacrificed, given so many Internet news
> sites (including ones I trust that aren't on Canadian TV)
>
> The Comedy Network puts Stewart and Colbert online; that's already a big
> chunk of my routine viewing. Many other cable networks put their shows
> online. I will pay for access *or* endure commercial to get the content I
> want, it makes no sense for content to demand both.

The local CTV station runs "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart and "The
Colbert Report" 65 minutes after they run on the Comedy Network (11:00
PM vs 12:05 AM and 11:30 PM vs 12:35 AM). I can wait 65 minutes (well,
except those few nights when I have insomnia, I wait until the next
morning for "The Daily Show", recording it on my MythTV box (I
normally don't bother with "The Colbert Report")). Also, MythTV has a
VERY good commercial auto-detect/skip function :-) .