Cutting the Cord

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 21 21:56:36 UTC 2013

Decent question.

I am almost certainly giving up some real-time access to sporting events,
but that's my choice. I could sign up for MLB.tv, which would give me
Internet access to every MLB game, Jays and others, for $20 a month.As it
is, one of the few sports I *do* want to watch (cricket) is an extra cost
option on Rogers anyway. If you have Bell, Sportsnet One is an extra cost
package; ditto for TSN2 if you have Rogers. So I'm just glad to get away
from that mess.

Real-time access to news is not sacrificed, given so many Internet news
sites (including ones I trust that aren't on Canadian TV)

The Comedy Network puts Stewart and Colbert online; that's already a big
chunk of my routine viewing. Many other cable networks put their shows
online. I will pay for access *or* endure commercial to get the content I
want, it makes no sense for content to demand both.

If I want paid media services such as movies and TV, I will get Netflix for
$8/month (plus extra, perhaps, for access to US-only content); if I am able
to subscribe to Hulu plus I might do that) .There are many other paid and
free channels on Plex if I want them. And I still have access to newer  PPV
movies via Google Play etc

What I expect to miss the most is just putting on mindless random video
background noise after a day of work. That's what Rogers' line-up is best
at :-P

On 21 April 2013 16:54, John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 04/20/2013 01:37 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Well, my kids have been badgering me to stop paying stooopid prices to
>> Rogers and I'm ready to leap, switching my Internet and dumping my cable TV
>> completely in favour of Internet/Netflix/Usenet/etc.
>>
>>  Evan, what are you giving up with this move? Let's say you want to watch
> the Jays, which are not carried on CBC or CTV, would you still be able to
> do it or would you have to give that up?
>
> John.

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org