(question) same MACs in wireless router

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 20:39:18 UTC 2012

James Knott <james.knott at ...> writes:
> WiFi effectively acts as a bridge.  It makes no difference whether you
> connect to any device on the local LAN via wire or wireless. So, if
> there were indeed two MAC addresses, which one gets the IP address?
> While you can have multiple IP addresses for one MAC, you cannot have
> multiple MAC addresses for one IP.

You can have as many MAC addresses as you like, for the same IP, as long as the
router(s) can handle this (tuple routing heh). Just not on the same net. Not on
the same media is the same as not on the same net. Bridged interfaces will
simply mirror any packet in out of both. If you try to connect to a router with
a wifi connection and with a cable, both at the same time, then you can end up
with a very confused host. But who does that?! (answer: I do, when checking out
routers... grrr)

-- Peter