(question) same MACs in wireless router

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 20:55:02 UTC 2012

Peter wrote:
> James Knott <james.knott at ...> writes:
>> WiFi effectively acts as a bridge.  It makes no difference whether you
>> connect to any device on the local LAN via wire or wireless. So, if
>> there were indeed two MAC addresses, which one gets the IP address?
>> While you can have multiple IP addresses for one MAC, you cannot have
>> multiple MAC addresses for one IP.
> You can have as many MAC addresses as you like, for the same IP, as long as the
> router(s) can handle this (tuple routing heh). Just not on the same net. Not on
> the same media is the same as not on the same net. Bridged interfaces will
> simply mirror any packet in out of both. If you try to connect to a router with
> a wifi connection and with a cable, both at the same time, then you can end up
> with a very confused host. But who does that?! (answer: I do, when checking out
> routers... grrr)

The situation you mentioned does not apply to the situation the OP was
discussing and, as you mentioned, requires separate networks. This, of
course, means the MAC is irrelevant to anything beyond the individual
networks.  If you are outside of those networks, you don't even know
what any of the MACs on those networks are and you don't care.

With my notebook computer, running OpenSUSE 12.1, if there are both
wired and wireless connections to the same network, the wired is the
default.