Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 21 02:04:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 12:08:19PM -0400, Peter King wrote

> Debian stable is exactly that, rock-solid (if unexciting and not up-to-date),
> and Debian Testing, which I ran for years, is more solid than these "timed
> release" distros. Now I prefer Gentoo, which is not only a very solid stable
> rolling-release, but which is transparent all the way through (not only the
> package management system but the software itself is all open to inspection,
> fiddling, and recompiling).

  Agree with a previous poster about missing Redhat 7.3.  It was the
best Redhat ever. RH8 and RH9 were Windows-like bloat in comparison.

  In an over-reaction to rapid version releases by Redhat, I went to,
Debian, a distro which allegedly had 3 flavours... "Rusty", "Stale", and
"Ancient".  I actually loved it for a while.  That was back in the day
when Mozilla's lightweight browser was called Phoenix, and Realplayer
was king of the multimedia hill.  It was great for a while.  Then some
security updates of Phoenix and Realplayer needed newer versions of
libraries than Debian had.  So "Rusty"/"Stale"/"Ancient" came back to
bite me.

  Then I switched to CRUX linux http://crux.nu/ where I learned to
"make menuconfig" and build a custom kernel.  I kept asking if they could
optimize it beyond basic i686.  Somebody on the list told me that I was
really looking for Gentoo.  That's where I went, and I'm still on it.