Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 18:07:59 UTC 2012

On 12-10-20 12:08 PM, Peter King wrote:
> This baffles me. Why accept any half-bakedness for any time at all,
> in your working environment?

If I knew about half-bakedness ahead of time I wouldn't install it.  I
don't think anyone would intentionally install something they knew to be
half-baked. My point was that I'd only have to wait for the next point
release to see if it was fixed; not the entire LTS cycle.

And this is what test environments are for. Any half-bakedness should be
discovered when you test a new release. Anyone who installs untested
software in a production environment should be made to return their
sysadmin hat.

> Why should anyone put up with half-bakedness forced on them as a
> consequence of a release schedule? That's what the Other OSes do --
> OSX and Windows -- and there it's part of the whole package, take it
> or leave it.

Even on a timed-release distro like Ubuntu you're not forced to accept
the whole package.  You can add repositories from application developers
to ensure you stay up-to-date on critical software, or you can pin
packages at an older version number to avoid known half-bakedness in
recent releases.  Windows and MacOS probably not so much.

--Bob.