Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 16:00:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:04:28PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Agree with a previous poster about missing Redhat 7.3.  It was the
> best Redhat ever. RH8 and RH9 were Windows-like bloat in comparison.

To me RH 7.x were the worst ever.  Both the libc and gcc were hack jobs
trying to get features that were not ready for release yet.  This made
RH 7.x totally incompatible with any other linux distribution for C++
based code.

Total disaster.  I was so happy I had bailed after 6.0's bugs.

>   In an over-reaction to rapid version releases by Redhat, I went to,
> Debian, a distro which allegedly had 3 flavours... "Rusty", "Stale", and
> "Ancient".  I actually loved it for a while.  That was back in the day
> when Mozilla's lightweight browser was called Phoenix, and Realplayer
> was king of the multimedia hill.  It was great for a while.  Then some
> security updates of Phoenix and Realplayer needed newer versions of
> libraries than Debian had.  So "Rusty"/"Stale"/"Ancient" came back to
> bite me.
>
>   Then I switched to CRUX linux http://crux.nu/ where I learned to
> "make menuconfig" and build a custom kernel.  I kept asking if they could
> optimize it beyond basic i686.  Somebody on the list told me that I was
> really looking for Gentoo.  That's where I went, and I'm still on it.

I guess everyone needs to play with compiler flags for a while before
they get over the idea that that is a useful thing to do.  I got over
that back in university on a solaris system.

--
Len Sorensen