overheating

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 26 09:16:14 UTC 2012

Oh, well. Thanks for all comments arround.

This is no doubt a fan problem (the one on power supply).

I am somewhat confused though and do not understand well how this
overheating is treated by the system.

The temperature 41 here is temperature measured by external multimeter
with termocouple well fixed to the metal wall of power supply. Hence,
this is not exactly the temperature which is inside of the power supply
and may be used only as an approximation of what is going on there.

The computer itself is old (I bought it 3 years ago from a second hand,
for $ 100). However, it has a fast processor 2.8 GHz and works for me
very well otherwise. Hence, I would like to use it.

My first idea was that it turns off due to overheating of power supply.
But this was probably a wrong idea.

No, I can not adjust any settings related to overheating in BIOS because
there is no any entry there for that.

I use Psensor. It shows me one only temperature, which is from /dev/sda
and it seems that this is temperature of CPU. (should not I be able to
see more temperature sensors there?) Right now it reports 43 degrees.
That is fine, the machine still works (I doubt though if for long yet).

I wonder where physically the temperature sensor is located on motherboard.

I guess that not only temperature itself decides about turn-off feature
but possibly also the time rate of change of it. And, possibly, this is
not only temperature of CPU, but also from other sensors.

I do not feel any particularely hot elements on the motherboard after it
turns off.

My guess is also that these boxes are designed to work on the border
line. That the air flow inside must well determined. If the fan is dead
or works improperly, nothing helps. Opening it does not help, rather.