overheating

Anthony Verevkin anthony-P5WJPa9AKEcsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 26 13:35:22 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Zbigniew Koziol" <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

> My first idea was that it turns off due to overheating of power
> supply. But this was probably a wrong idea.

I don't know what made you think it's wrong, it might well be the reason.
If the power supply is hot it might switch off. Not by a sensor giving a
signal to CPU and CPU shutting everything down, but by a simple temperature
protection inside the power supply cutting the power as for emergency.

> No, I can not adjust any settings related to overheating in BIOS
> because there is no any entry there for that.

I am absolutely sure you should be able to set the threshold for max
CPU temperature in BIOS. It would be somewhere in the 'health status'
menu where you also see the fan speeds and power levels.

> I use Psensor. It shows me one only temperature, which is from
> /dev/sda and it seems that this is temperature of CPU.
> Right now it reports 43 degrees.
> I wonder where physically the temperature sensor is located on
> motherboard.

The temperature coming from /dev/sda is your hard drive's temperature.
It's a part of SMART information and you could also read it using
smartctl from the smartmontools package. You should be able to see two
more temperatures - the CPU temperature and the Motherboard temperature.
Check the lm-sensors package, it should give you this ability.

Regards,
Anthony