Intel video

Michael Hill mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 19:26:24 UTC 2012

Thanks, Hugh. I'll stop looking.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I take it that the isssue is with X and has nothing in particular to do
> with OSTree.

My understanding is OSTree is similar to jhbuild in that it uses the
kernel and X setup of the host system, but runs the latest "system"
(in this case GNOME) by mounting a different root directory where the
latest binaries have been installed. Colin Walters, the developer,
suspects an issue with llvmpipe mesa, and admits, "To be honest I only
boot natively on Intel hardware right now."

> Which distro are you using?  There are distro-specific fora on the
> internet that are really good at capturing folk's problems and solutions.
> Only a google away.  (TLUG is a smaller pool so perhaps none of us has hit
> the problems that are blocking you.)

I had jhbuild running pretty well on openSUSE (ThinkPad with AMD CPU
and video) before I inadvertently wiped it out and needed to
reinstall. I also have Mageia Cauldron running on the same hardware,
and Ubuntu on my big old ThinkPad with nVidia. For OSTree I'm using
Fedora 18 on the aforementioned desktop machine. I think I've figured
out the Grub 2 grub.cfg customizations, listed in the troubleshooting
notes (OSTree/GnomeOSTree and OSTree/CommonIssues pages), necessary to
boot... I get as far as these messages in console 1:

[ OK ] Started Login Service.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User.
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

Nothing else is there but login prompts on consoles 2 through 6. The
next step is to log in and read the contents of
/var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log.

Mike