Intel video

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 18:00:11 UTC 2012

| From: Michael Hill <mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Is it possible to buy an Intel video card in a box?

No.  The last (only?) time they made video cards was the Intel 740, as
far as I recall <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel740>.  That was in
the previous millenium.

They were going to try again with Larrabee
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrabee_%28microarchitecture%29>
but they cancelled it.  Interestingly, part of that design lives on in the
Intel MIC that is just appearing, but it isn't a video card
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_MIC>

| I want to play
| around with OSTree [https://live.gnome.org/OSTree] but X doesn't
| launch with my nVidia PCI-E card or my onboard AMD video. (It *is*
| known to work with Intel.)

I take it that the isssue is with X and has nothing in particular to do
with OSTree.

Many folks use nVidia or AMD video controllers (I have systems with
each).  There are some quirks with particular cards but few
show-stoppers.  If you are a lot more specific about your system and
the symptoms we might be able to help you.

Which distro are you using?  There are distro-specific fora on the
internet that are really good at capturing folk's problems and solutions.
Only a google away.  (TLUG is a smaller pool so perhaps none of us has hit
the problems that are blocking you.)