Hosted E-mail services suggestions

Sadiq Saif sadiq-KzRxrKfdH+/c+919tysfdA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 15 15:39:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Ted <ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> this for privacy issue, or domain issue?
> note that gmail and MS services can host your email via "your" domain, and i
> believe its  free.
> Unless you do it yourself, you have a privacy issue.
> Do it yourself, and you have a administration issue.
>
> I am conflicted in what to do as well, as having the email server down, and
> a cx getting a bounce back after 4 hours? not nice.
> If you have a backup smtp and a dns set up for that, then hopefully
> 99.9999999 uptime.
>
> Can also have google have email for your domain, then have a private email
> server suck it of Google and not leave it there.
> If your server goes down, at least it stays on google, until you fix the
> server.
>

> -tl

Mostly a privacy issue. I believe the saying goes as such - "if you
are not paying for it, you are the product."

Though, it is true that paying someone is no guarantee of privacy.

About the administrative issue, I'm currently testing a self-hosted
setup with two MXes like so:
$ dig +short mx staticsafe.ca
mx1.staticsafe.ca
mx2.staticsafe.ca

If mx1 goes down for whatever reason, sending MTAs retry with mx2 and
mail spools there, and mx2 keeps trying to relay said mail back to
mx1, so I have my e-mail back when mx1 is up.
(mx1 is also my IMAP/POP server).

--
Sadiq S