more user-friendly than Update manager?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 06:25:43 UTC 2012

| From: Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>

| On 12-04-30 03:10 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > | From: Mr Chris Aitken<chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
| >
| > | Is there a more user-friendly way to get updates than Update manager?
| > |
| > | I see hundreds of suggested updates for things like Evolution that I don't
| > | even use.

| > All those updates are for packages that you have installed.
|
| Hmmm. Interesting. I went to uninstall Evolution and it says it was never
| installed...

Yes, interesting!

Are you sure that it is asking to update evolution?

What does this command report:
	dpkg --list '*volution*'

| chris at chris-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$ sudo apt-get remove evolution

| Package evolution is not installed, so not removed

Odd.  Could you try the update-manager again and carfully not which
packages with "volution" in their name that it wants to update?

You could try:
	apt-get --just-print upgrade
This would tell you which packages would be updated.  I would be
interested in the output of that command up until the line that looks
like:
	41 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.