more user-friendly than Update manager?

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 18:44:00 UTC 2012

On 12-05-07 02:25 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Mr Chris Aitken<chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | On 12-04-30 03:10 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> |>  | From: Mr Chris Aitken<chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
> |>
> |>  | Is there a more user-friendly way to get updates than Update manager?
> |>  |
> |>  | I see hundreds of suggested updates for things like Evolution that I don't
> |>  | even use.
>
> |>  All those updates are for packages that you have installed.
> |
> | Hmmm. Interesting. I went to uninstall Evolution and it says it was never
> | installed...
>
> Yes, interesting!
>
> Are you sure that it is asking to update evolution?
>
> What does this command report:
> 	dpkg --list '*volution*'

chris at chris-HP-Compaq-dc5750-Small-Form-Factor:~$ dpkg --list '*volution*'

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
un  evolution <none>         (no description available)
ii  evolution-data 3.2.0-0ubuntu1 evolution database backend server
ii  evolution-data 3.2.0-0ubuntu1 architecture independent files for
Evolution
un  evolution-data <none>         (no description available)
un  evolution-data <none>         (no description available)
un  libreoffice-ev <none>         (no description available)

<snip>