I need help getting Trendnet TEW-421PC PCMCIA card to function properly in Linux Mint 9 LXDE before Thursday March 22, 2012

charles chris cccharlz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 21 13:09:48 UTC 2012

Hi Stewart:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have the Windows drivers on CD for the Trendnet PCMCIA wireless
network card

I wish Linux was more like Windows in that most things work straight out of
the box, especially the installation of device drivers.

While creating images for Linux, I am learning a lot about Linux.

I have been reading stuff posted to the Ubuntu forums.  However, I have NOT
tried any of the suggestions yet.

I have taken notes and will visit freegeektoronto today and let an expert
there resolve the issue.

If they cannot resolve the issue then I will put windows on it which I hate
to do because this laptop, HP Omnibook 6000 is a Pentium III, 1GHz (I
think), Max 512 RAM.

My image of Windows XP Pro SP2 almost crawls on this hardware.

Linux runs better on low spec computers!

I also have problem with internal webcam on old macbook pro and I have
researched this, found the driver and made notes but have not tried to
install it yet.  Again I will leave that to experts at FreeGeekToronto.
Armed with the drivers and my notes they should be able to resolve the
webcam issue also.

Cheers!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 12-03-20 10:41 , charles chris wrote:
> > I can connect to my wep wireless connection in Windows but NOT in Linux.
>
> Best bet is ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. Trendnet say there is no
> native driver for Linux. Check very carefully the hardware revision,
> 'cos Trendnet had a habit of keeping the same model number but switching
> out the chipset. If you have the driver CD for windows you could well be
> sorted.
>
> I had a PCI 421 that was a Marvell 8000C. Worked like a champ with
> ndiswrapper*. Didn't work with 64-bit OSs.
>
> cheers,
>  Stewart
>
> *: as much as ndiswrapper can work. I mean, for user-level network stuff
> it worked fine, but I wouldn't have put it in a server.

http://drpcdr.ca
http://jobcircle.ca
416 398 3772 OR 647 453 3327