3TB Harddisk sale

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 16:50:06 UTC 2012

Mike,
> I'm duty-bound to weigh in at this point. My external RAID-1 with two
> Seagate 500 Barracudas failed recently. RAID box is fine, both drives
> failed at the same time. One drive was all errors, to the point of
> falling off the bus, and the other was a spinning brick.

I have seen this happen twice in my career.  RAID 1 failing and I believe
this shouldn't be the case. Problem is most vendor set up RAID systems from
the same hard disk vendors and the same manufacturing batch.

I am looking at you Dell. They sell RAID 10 systems with hard disk whose
serial number are so close you can guess the serial number of the last
drive after seeing the first drive.

Of course they end up failing at the same time to my surprise :(

William