3TB Harddisk sale

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 17:58:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:50:06PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> I have seen this happen twice in my career.  RAID 1 failing and I believe
> this shouldn't be the case. Problem is most vendor set up RAID systems from
> the same hard disk vendors and the same manufacturing batch.
>
> I am looking at you Dell. They sell RAID 10 systems with hard disk whose
> serial number are so close you can guess the serial number of the last
> drive after seeing the first drive.
>
> Of course they end up failing at the same time to my surprise :(

I just built a raid1 using a pair of WD 2TB RE4 drives.  I bought them
a week apart and the serial numbers are about 500 apart. :)

I have not personally ever had drives bought together fail anywhere near
the same time, but I do consider it a valid concern.  Most of the time
the failure of a drive seems pretty random, but sometimes there are
manufacturing caused issues in which case drives from the same batch
very well could fail together.

--
Len Sorensen