3TB Harddisk sale

Mike el.fontanero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 28 16:14:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:31:27AM -0400, Sadiq Saif wrote:
>> This is the drive in question -
>

> What's interesting to me is they have 500GB Seagate Barracuda's on clearance
> sale at $50. A pair of those would double my hard drive space.
>
> I've generally preferred Seagate drives. They have never given me any
> problems. But that may have been before SATA drives. I don't think my
> current SATA drives are from Seagate but I would have to check who made
> them.

I'm duty-bound to weigh in at this point. My external RAID-1 with two
Seagate 500 Barracudas failed recently. RAID box is fine, both drives
failed at the same time. One drive was all errors, to the point of
falling off the bus, and the other was a spinning brick.

Spinning brick did not respond to firmware monitor (RS-232 TTL
interface) access, so I had a company in BC (plug: the nice folks at
http://www.onepcbsolution.com) send me replacement drive electronics
with my transplanted PROM. $50 instead of close to $1k for a
professional recovery (last I looked). Thankfully I was finally able
to recover data from spinning brick.

Needles [sic] to say I'm not going anywhere near Seagate for some
time. No matter how good a deal. Lennart might be a bit quick with his
reviews sometimes ( ;-) but I'm right with him on this one!

Cheers,
Mike