Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 28 02:48:18 UTC 2012

> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:18:30 -0800
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection
> From: tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>
> That's the one. I find that if it's wrong, you end up with an invalid
> eth0 device that isn't using your driver, and then an eth1 device that
> doesn't work, etc
> You might also want to look for the following in /etc/modprobe.conf or
> /etc/modprobe.d/0
>     alias eth0 SOMETHING (a driver other than forcedeth)

I can't find /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.d/0.

> More stuff
>   when you do "lsmod | grep forcedeth" do you see a number of 1 or
> greater under "Used by"
I get a '0'

> When booting an older kernel, does it work (bad forcedeth module?)

It doesn't connect with an older kernel either.

> Does "ethtool eth0" display a valid link/duplex speed (and an active link)

I don't see anything obviously wrong:

Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ MII ]
    Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                            100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: No
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised link modes:  Not reported
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: No
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 13