Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 30 05:51:35 UTC 2012

> From: waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:43:06 -0500
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:39:37AM +0000, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote
>
> > I do show lo with ifconfig.
>
>   OK, 2 possibilities...
>
> 1) Try
> traceroute -n 157.166.226.26
>   or
> tracepath -n 157.166.226.26
>
>   That's www.cnn.com.  If you can get to IP addresses, but not names,
> then you have a DNS problem.  What does /etc/resolv.conf look like?
> You can generally use the address of your ADSL router/modem (192.168.0.1)

OK, some good progress! Your suspicions were correct Walter, I was able
to ping external IP addresses. So, with Ted's ifconfig and route
commands, I can access the outside world.

The ubuntu /etc/resolv.conf file was empty. I copied the one from fedora and now I'm able to browse the internet. I'm emailing this from the problem system (ubuntu).

But the fix is not permanent. Whenever I boot up, I still get no eth0 connection (in ubuntu only) - eth0 doesn't even show up in ifconfig. How do I make it permanent?

One thing I noticed when I boot up ubuntu, which I never noticed previously - just before it starts to boot, I get a nearly blank screen with just the following on the very top:
resume: libgcrypt version 1.4.4
Googling this message, I see some grumblings about it, even some which link it to a loss of ethernet connection, but no solutions that I found. Anyone know what that's about?

Thanks,

John.