Cannot Get Back Ethernet Connection

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 28 03:43:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:39:37AM +0000, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote

> I do show lo with ifconfig.

  OK, 2 possibilities...

1) Try
traceroute -n 157.166.226.26
  or
tracepath -n 157.166.226.26

  That's www.cnn.com.  If you can get to IP addresses, but not names,
then you have a DNS problem.  What does /etc/resolv.conf look like?
You can generally use the address of your ADSL router/modem (192.168.0.1)
Other options are...
Google
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

Verizon
4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3
4.2.2.4
4.2.2.5
4.2.2.6

2) If that doesn't work, we get desparate.  I notice that your working
Fedora shows IRQ 25, but the non-working Ubuntu shows IRQ 23.  Note that
you have to be root or use su/sudo to change settings with ifconfig.
Can you list the *COMPLETE* output of "ifconfig eth0"?  Here are a few
options...

Plan A) ifconfig eth0 irq 25
and try the network

Plan B) ifconfig eth0 irq 23
and try the network

There is no "Plan C", other than re-installing.