VoIP (Teksavvy's TekTalk)

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 23 07:40:22 UTC 2012

I went through the same "30 days notice" b.s. when porting from my old
cellular provider, though it said nothing of such notice on my actual
contract (which I had just completed).  It seems to be the new vogue
in preventing customer migration (or at least giving them one least
bill).

If your provider is screwing you over, I suggest contacting the CCTS.
Though my provider swore up-and-down there was no way I could get a
refund, a short while after filing an official complaint they refunded
the extra month's charge:
   https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/complaints/complaint-form

Hopefully you'll have equal luck. It seems that - unlike certain other
four-letter-world regulators - the CCTS still has the back of the
consumer.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sent again, because first one got lost...
>
> Today, I switched from Rogers Home Phone to Teksavvy TekTalk.  It went
> well and will pay for itself in 3 months.  Instruction says
>
>    cable modem --> router --> ATA
>                      |         |
>                  computers   phone
>
> But, I put ATA in front of router,
>
>    cable modem --> ATA --> router
>                     |        |
>                   phone   computers
>
> Important:
> ----------
> Make sure you return Rogers Modem/EMTA box on the day of switch-over,
> and call them 30 days ahead of transfer date.
>
>    1.  I went to Rogers store today to return the box, but they
>    couldn't accept the return because my account is still active.  The
>    account has to be closed first.  They said my account will be
>    automatically closed when switch-over takes place.  Well, it didn't.
>    The "meter" was still running.  I phoned Rogers from the store, and
>    cancelled.  They put me through 3 different departments, though.
>
>    2.  2 weeks ago, I was told by Rogers that 30 days notice doesn't
>    apply for "porting out" home phone to another party.  Now, they say
>    it does, for any kind of termination.  So, they are charging me full
>    30 days.
>
> Same thing happened when I switched Cable Internet from Rogers to
> Teksavvy.  They kept the meter running.  And, when it exceeded the
> monthly cap after the switch-over date, they charged me for the
> bandwidth usage.
> --
> William

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2/DCTS/CLA

"Computers don't make mistakes. They can, however, execute those
provided to them very quickly"