VoIP (Teksavvy's TekTalk)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 22 05:26:38 UTC 2012

Sent again, because first one got lost...

Today, I switched from Rogers Home Phone to Teksavvy TekTalk.  It went
well and will pay for itself in 3 months.  Instruction says

    cable modem --> router --> ATA
                      |         |
                  computers   phone

But, I put ATA in front of router,

    cable modem --> ATA --> router
                     |        |
                   phone   computers

Important:
----------
Make sure you return Rogers Modem/EMTA box on the day of switch-over,
and call them 30 days ahead of transfer date.

    1.  I went to Rogers store today to return the box, but they
    couldn't accept the return because my account is still active.  The
    account has to be closed first.  They said my account will be
    automatically closed when switch-over takes place.  Well, it didn't.
    The "meter" was still running.  I phoned Rogers from the store, and
    cancelled.  They put me through 3 different departments, though.

    2.  2 weeks ago, I was told by Rogers that 30 days notice doesn't
    apply for "porting out" home phone to another party.  Now, they say
    it does, for any kind of termination.  So, they are charging me full
    30 days.

Same thing happened when I switched Cable Internet from Rogers to
Teksavvy.  They kept the meter running.  And, when it exceeded the
monthly cap after the switch-over date, they charged me for the
bandwidth usage.
--
William