OpenIndiana

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 16:36:34 UTC 2012

On 1/11/2012 11:26 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi Jamon,
>
> I tried OpenIndiana in VM.  It's Gnome desktop (like CentOS), so that
> part is familiar.  But, I think it's too little too late...
>
> 1. How do I determine disk layout in OpenIndiana?  In Linux, I would do
> 	cat /proc/partitions /proc/mounts /etc/fstab
> 	mount
> 	df
> 	fdisk -l
>     to get some idea.

Take a look at the 'format' utility, it will show you the disks that you
have in use. Specifically, check the verify command and you'll see a
list of partitions.

Mostly though if you picked the default install options, zpool and zfs
commands will be all that you really need to learn and use.

> 2. What is the naming convention for devices found under /dev/dsk and
>     /dev/rdsk?  Doc doesn't explain this.

This is a good diagram showing how disk devices work:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1459/figures/dev_access.fig2091.png

Jamon