Linux help installing redhat harddrive into another computer and

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 18:45:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 18 December 2012 13:22, William Weaver <williamdweaver-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

[...]

> This may be totally off track but it's reminding me quite strongly of
> a problem I had a couple years ago (mentioned on this list) when I
> moved an HD from one machine to another.  The new system set itself up
> as eth1 because there was already an eth0 (the old system network
> card) configured.  Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
> lose the old eth entry (thanks to Lennart and Tyler for the solution).
>
> If this isn't the problem - sorry for clogging up the list.

Actually Giles, you are probably more on the right track than you
think. IMHO, unless the RH is extremely old and/or the Kernel was
specifically tailored to the old hardware, or the new hardware is
extremely new or exotic, I cannot imagine that it cannot recognize a
common ethernet NIC.

If the OP can provide specific versions,  lspci and dmesg as others
have suggested, it should be quite easy to resolve. If he is able to
boot with the old HD on the new HW then we also need uname -a to get
an idea of what RH and Kernel version we are talking about.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass