Linux help installing redhat harddrive into another computer and

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 19:46:38 UTC 2012

| From: Shane Powell <shane-abz+RtKofAfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| We have an old accounting software that is Linux based (redhat). We had
| it networked with a dedicated IP that we used an old terminal software
| to access it.

Could you tell us specifically the version of Red Hat Linux (very old)
or Red Hat Enterprise Linux (more recent)?

| The desktop hardware just crapped out.

Step 0: make sure you have good backups BEFORE doing anything else.
Imaging the disk is the best way, I would think.  For one thing, you
don't need your system to be live to accomplish this.

- what hardware are you starting from?
  + disk size
  + RAM size
  + video card
  + ethernet card
  + motherboard
  + anything else interesting

| We tried to move the harddrive
| into another computer but ran into configuration issues... we can't get
| the kernal to recognize the ethernet adapter to connect to our network
| and give us an IP so we can update the terminal software access script.

- what hardware are you trying to migrate to?

| The job to me sounds easy, but for some reason people are not able to
| help.

What difficulties are they running into?  If we know, we may avoid
repeating the same problems.

| I've been told that we need to add the specific driver module for
| the ethernet adapter to the linux kernel and recompile.

Compiling Linux kernels is rarely needed for Red Hat distros these
days.

| This is fine,
| but then we need the existing accounting software to still be installed
| or to be reinstalled.

Any tricky license enforcement mechanisms?  Sometimes these get in the
way of migration.

If you have a binary-only copy of the software, this too can block
migration.