Linux help installing redhat harddrive into another computer and

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 18:29:58 UTC 2012

On 18 December 2012 13:22, William Weaver <williamdweaver-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Since you said you're not overly familiar with linux I wanted to give you a
> few steps to follow, from there I/We should be able to give you an idea of
> what will need to be done and if you aren't comfortable doing it I can send
> you an estimated price for me to come to your location to resolve the issue.
>
> Once the computer is booted and you have logged in, you will need to access
> a terminal prompt. If you are in an GUI interface you can do this by running
> the terminal application after log in.
>
> Type the following commands exactly as below. You can google each one if you
> are interested in what they are doing.
>
> cd ~
> dmesg > dmesg.log
> lspci > lspci.log
>
> From here you will need to put a USB key into your machine and copy these
> files onto it. If you don't see your USB key pop up on the GUI when you plug
> it in (also called automounting) then we would need to go through the steps
> to mount it, which I can talk you through over the phone.
>
> Once you've copied over the files, email them to me. They will be found in
> your ~ directory which is also known as /home/<username>/
>
> With those logs I should have a decent idea of what the issues could be and
> what will be involved fixing them.
>
> Will
>

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Shane Powell <shane-abz+RtKofAfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > We have an old accounting software that is Linux based (redhat). We had
>> > it
>> > networked with a dedicated IP that we used an old terminal software to
>> > access it.
>> >
>> > The desktop hardware just crapped out. We tried to move the harddrive
>> > into
>> > another computer but ran into configuration issues... we can't get the
>> > kernal to recognize the ethernet adapter to connect to our network and
>> > give
>> > us an IP so we can update the terminal software access script.
>> >
>> > The job to me sounds easy, but for some reason people are not able to
>> > help.
>>
>> For people to help you need to ask the right questions with sufficient
>> information (http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html):
>>
>> 1) the RedHat version and kernel version if you have it. If it's a RHE
>> under license and support you can obtain support from RedHat
>> 2) an idea of the old hardware, including motherboard chipset and
>> ethernet adapter details
>> 3) an idea of the new hardware including the new ethernet NIC
>>
>> In general it sounds to met very unlikely that Linux will not
>> recognize an ethernet adapter unless the kernel is extremely old or
>> was compiled in such a way to exclude the most common adapters. If
>> it's a *very old* kernel on a *very new* or strange hardware it could
> [...]

This may be totally off track but it's reminding me quite strongly of
a problem I had a couple years ago (mentioned on this list) when I
moved an HD from one machine to another.  The new system set itself up
as eth1 because there was already an eth0 (the old system network
card) configured.  Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
lose the old eth entry (thanks to Lennart and Tyler for the solution).

If this isn't the problem - sorry for clogging up the list.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org