Linux help installing redhat harddrive into another computer and

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 18 18:00:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Shane Powell <shane-abz+RtKofAfQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> We have an old accounting software that is Linux based (redhat). We had it
> networked with a dedicated IP that we used an old terminal software to
> access it.
>
> The desktop hardware just crapped out. We tried to move the harddrive into
> another computer but ran into configuration issues... we can't get the
> kernal to recognize the ethernet adapter to connect to our network and give
> us an IP so we can update the terminal software access script.
>
> The job to me sounds easy, but for some reason people are not able to help.

For people to help you need to ask the right questions with sufficient
information (http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html):

1) the RedHat version and kernel version if you have it. If it's a RHE
under license and support you can obtain support from RedHat
2) an idea of the old hardware, including motherboard chipset and
ethernet adapter details
3) an idea of the new hardware including the new ethernet NIC

In general it sounds to met very unlikely that Linux will not
recognize an ethernet adapter unless the kernel is extremely old or
was compiled in such a way to exclude the most common adapters. If
it's a *very old* kernel on a *very new* or strange hardware it could
be the case but without more information we cannot help you.

You can grab a "live" version of almost any modern Linux, BSD or other
live system and boot the new hardware from CD to get this info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_live_CDs

You will need to post the information above and at least the output of
the command lspci to start.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass