The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 16:04:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:49:12PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Zones do have disadvantages.  E.g. when I lived+worked in Marpole
> (southern city limits of Vancouver proper) the closest major shopping
> mall was a 10-minute bus trip just over the Oak Street bridge, whereas
> the nearest major mall in Vancouver was a long ride in rush hours.  But
> it was a 2-zone fare to Richmond, versus a 1-zone fare in Vancouver.
> http://www.translink.ca/~/media/images/content/fares/fare_zone_map/ctlhz_metro_vancouver_fare_zone_map.ashx

Perhaps if zoning was done like it is in york region it would be better.
The zones in york region overlap, so it is possible to do a short trip
into the zone change area while still being in one zone.  Only if you
start and end outside the overlapping area do you have to pay the extra
$1 for the second zone.

>   Both time-based and zone-based systems require some form of "policing"
> to prevent people getting on with a "short fare" and taking the long
> ride.

Sure.  Works fine for VIVA and lots of other systems.

Same system that would prevent people from riding with no fare.  After all
the driver isn't checking, since that's a waste of their time.

--
Len Sorensen