The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 16:21:59 UTC 2012

On 13 August 2012 12:04, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 08:49:12PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Zones do have disadvantages.  E.g. when I lived+worked in Marpole
> > (southern city limits of Vancouver proper) the closest major shopping
> > mall was a 10-minute bus trip just over the Oak Street bridge, whereas
> > the nearest major mall in Vancouver was a long ride in rush hours.  But
> > it was a 2-zone fare to Richmond, versus a 1-zone fare in Vancouver.

That's more a matter of crossing a municipal boundary, a jurisdictional
issue than merely distance travelled.
The TTC has multiple routes north that cross Steeles and collect another
fare at that point. That's because the TTC, north of Steeles, is
essentially a contractor of York Region Transit and must collect fares on
their behalf. (I believe that YRT fares and transfers are accepted on TTC
buses north of Steeles).
In fact, since TTC fares are less than YRT, a token alone isn't enough for
travel north of Steeles, you have to add 20 cents.

I can't speak for BC Transit. but from Finch Avenue it costs more to get to
Highway 7 than to go downtown because of the border crossing.

There is also a single bus that links Lawrence West station with Westwood
Mall in Missisauga, and west of the airport the TTC acts as a Mississauga
Transit bus.
 http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/GTA_Zone_Fares.jsp

>   Both time-based and zone-based systems require some form of "policing"
> > to prevent people getting on with a "short fare" and taking the long
> > ride.
>
> Sure.  Works fine for VIVA and lots of other systems.

It's been in use on GO trains for quite a while.

In fact, the concept of having "proof of payment" on board, allowing people
to be able to get on a vehicle through the back doors, and being
occasionally patrolled by people checking proof and issuing offense notices
(like parking tickets) for free riders is not new to the TTC. It's been in
effect on the Queen streetcar for a while.
http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Proof_of_payment.jsp

This is the system used in many european transit systems. If you have a
one-trip ticket, you validate it at the beginning of your trip, at a little
time-stamp machine on all buses and subway platforms. It separates fare
collection/enforcement from driving, which is a Good Thing. (Under Toronto
POP, if you want to use a one-trip fare you still need to go to the front
and get a transfer which is your 'proof'.)

- Evan