The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 00:49:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 05:05:36PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote

> For better or worse, the unit of measure used by the TTC is usually
> per-trip, not per-time (except for day or monthly passes) or per-kilometre
> (except for trips outside the Toronto boundary). We don't use zones like
> many cities, though that too may be coming once Presto allows for a more
> regional approach to transit use (ie, being able to seamlessly transfer
> between GO Transit and TTC within Toronto).

  Zones do have disadvantages.  E.g. when I lived+worked in Marpole
(southern city limits of Vancouver proper) the closest major shopping
mall was a 10-minute bus trip just over the Oak Street bridge, whereas
the nearest major mall in Vancouver was a long ride in rush hours.  But
it was a 2-zone fare to Richmond, versus a 1-zone fare in Vancouver.
http://www.translink.ca/~/media/images/content/fares/fare_zone_map/ctlhz_metro_vancouver_fare_zone_map.ashx

> What I found in Prague recently was they were able to effectively
> use the time-based fares to implement a kind of zone system, with a
> cheap fare for 30 minutes (ie, a local trip) and a standard fare for
> two hours. Presto will enable that too if the will exists to do that.

  Both time-based and zone-based systems require some form of "policing"
to prevent people getting on with a "short fare" and taking the long
ride.