The TTC bylaws regarding the use of transfers are Draconian, nonsensical and business unfriendly.

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 13 01:01:52 UTC 2012

> The driver is under no obligation to "take your word for it" that you
left your pass
> at home, especially since passes are transferable. Indeed it would not
> surprise me if drivers were EXPLICITLY instructed not to accept such
> explanations.

On one TTC trip, I discovered at the station I had forgotten my wallet.
The station collector at this end, and then at the other end on the return
trip, both allowed me to travel without paying, for which I was most
grateful. I wouldn't want to count on that sort of 'generosity of
strangers', however.

The zone system that we used to have in Toronto was really crude. It
penalized people who lived just to one side of the zone boundary. (My
grandmother used to hike some distance to cross the zone boundary rather
than pay, well into her 80's.) It's an approximation of 'paying according
to distance travelled'. A system that charges according to distance is
much fairer, although we could have an interesting discussion on whether
one should pay according to distance travelled, at all.

The London Underground has raised this to a fine art, where the fare
between stations is entirely variable, depending on the two stations. It's
also *much* more expensive, BTW. I found myself paying the equivalent of
$4 to travel a distance of three underground stations.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto