ssh/ethernet hanging...

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 20:06:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 02:34:19PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> On 09/13/2011 01:13 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > Very good point.  I've had Linux behave mysteriously bad when / gets
> > full (and perhaps other filesystems like /var).  Not the first thing I
> > check, but it should be.

Both filesystems -- being written from and being written to -- have plenty
of space left. Linux gets peculiar when you get near 95% full, but both the
source and target filesystems were at less than 60%.

> An OpenVZ container on which I'm setting up an anti-spam/anti-virus
> gateway just ran out of inodes. Peter, check df -i.

That's a clever thought! But df -i tells me that I have no more than 15%
usage of the inodes. So that doesn't seem to be it either.

> I've also had strange behaviour like you're describing with disk
> problems. I was getting mysterious and random hard crashes. The culprit
> turned out to be the disk drive.

Could be. I'll run some tests on the drives in question; I suppose a hiccup
on one of them could produce the rsync / ssh "freeze" in question. But there
isn't any trace in the logfiles of disk error. Time to run some read/write
tests.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42