ssh/ethernet hanging...

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 20:21:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:37:58PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> For example, try an old distro.  It may be that support for your old
> hardware has broken in recent distros and nobody has noticed because
> nobody uses it (or those that do are too lazy to report problems).
>
> For example, try another thing to stress the network.  Like FTP
> perhaps.  (I imagine nc could be useful but I don't really know it.)
> If you can boil it down to a really simple stress test that narrows
> the field.
>
> For example, go into the BIOS and reset all settings to the factory
> default (unless you know why they are set differently).
>
> Bad power supplies sometimes produce mysterious symptoms.
>
> Disconnect anything that isn't needed for the test.  Consider even
> reducing the RAM complement to the minimum.
>
> Consider passing in odd kernel parameters that turn off magic
> features.  Eg. noacpi.  Sorry, I don't have a good list for you to
> try.  Maybe someone else does.  Lennart?

All good suggestions. I think I'll run memtest for a day or two to make
sure that there aren't problems there, and if it passes memtest then
move on to the rest of the system: BIOS reset, stripping drives and parts,
the usual isolation testing. Even if it is older hardware, it isn't *that*
old:

  Motherboard:  ASUS A7V8X-X
  Processor:    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
  Memory:       DDR 333 (PC 2700), 1GB
  Network:      ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere (tulip.o)
                [after onboard via-rhine, e1000, and another gigabit NIC]
  Video card:   Radeon HD 3650

Heck, I have a dual Pentium-II computer that still works perfectly. And my
Sun UltraSparc 1E only quit because the battery *which is soldered to the
motherboard* (!!!) finally died. Sometimes I do feel like I'm running the
computer version of a retirement home, but this is one of the younger and
more vigorous specimens.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42