Best practice for apache on ubuntu

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 8 17:36:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

I take "best practice" as what most people with experience do.

For Debian/Ubuntu and Apache2 this is what I do and see most:

Global server configurarion goes into apache2.conf and httpd.conf is empty. This is what comes with the package install too.

Virtual servers (site-specific settings like DocumentRoot) go into sites_available directory, using the domain name as basis for the name of the file. Under sites_enabled directories are links to sites_available. Special configurations under conf.d directory (like security). And that's pretty much it. Some people like to put the SSL version of the virtual host on the same file, other people like to put it in a separate file.