Best practice for apache on ubuntu

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 8 17:15:39 UTC 2011

Hello

I came across this article and the following sentence seem not to be
helpful in what its trying to deliver. Google is not helping with a
better article I keep getting the same explanation.

Quote:
httpd.conf: historically the main Apache2 configuration file, named
after the httpd daemon. The file can be used for user specific
configuration options that globally effect Apache2.
End quote:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/httpd.html

I am curious as to what should be the content of this file as its used
in Ubuntu.  If it was on Centos, this would be the main configuration
file.  On Ubuntu and I assume Debian, its empty.  What is its intended
use?  For example, if I want to change the default MPM settings,
should it be done on apache2.conf or httpd.conf?  Its a user specific
setting in my opinion.  In short, I get a feeling apache2.conf should
never be edited and all changes should be on httpd.conf, including
change to root directory.  Is this correct?

Also, what is the best practice for ssl configuration?  Should they go
into vhost file, apache2.conf or httpd.conf?  I tend to put them on
vhost file, but there is a lot of redundancy with this setup and it
tend to feel a tad inefficient.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

William