Best practice for apache on ubuntu

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 8 19:29:43 UTC 2011

On 11-09-08 01:15 PM, William Muriithi wrote:
> httpd.conf: historically the main Apache2 configuration file, named
> after the httpd daemon. The file can be used for user specific
> configuration options that globally effect Apache2.

If httpd.conf is empty, leave it that way. In the past it was the main
configuration file for apache and may still be the main one for some web
servers.

> For example, if I want to change the default MPM settings,
> should it be done on apache2.conf or httpd.conf?  Its a user specific
> setting in my opinion.  In short, I get a feeling apache2.conf should
> never be edited and all changes should be on httpd.conf, including
> change to root directory.  Is this correct?

> Also, what is the best practice for ssl configuration?

Add a symlink to mods-enabled to the ssl.* files in mods-available. You can
make the changes you need to those files. If you are using virtual hosting
there is a file to enable that feature.