Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 20:03:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been reviewing the GTALUG message archive looking for transient
> TR anomalies in posts related to my android problem. Also, I have been
> reviewing some of the bug reports and am exploring this theory in
> respect of the wisdom of reusing bash code when porting to ARM.

Can you explain what "reusing bash code when porting to ARM" has to do
with a mail client or server that only sends base64-encoded text or a
mailing list server that incorrectly appends non-encoded text to an
encoded email?

> Bash syntax is so well noted for it's quoting, that it may be rather a
> pain to port.

According to http://www.aosabook.org/en/bash.html, the Bash parser is
implemented with Yacc or Bison, so I'd be very surprised if the
relative ease of porting Bash has anything to do with its quoting
abilities.

> Considering the number of mobile apps which must connect to the
> internet in order to work correctly and especially those which might
> involve GIS data formats, having a mta which handles only base 64 is a
> likely possibility.

By GIS, do you mean "Geographic information system" as described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system ?

If so, can you explain why GIS data formats used on a random mobile
device would impact SMTP in any way?

The signature came through this time, so I looked and this last mail
of yours came through as text/plain, which the apparently-decrepit
list software handles just fine; perhaps you've found the magic "plain
text only" switch?

Ian