Droid issues - Legacy Bash IFS var clobbering VLIW offset?

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 23 20:26:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I've been reviewing the GTALUG message archive looking for transient
>> TR anomalies in posts related to my android problem. Also, I have been
>> reviewing some of the bug reports and am exploring this theory in
>> respect of the wisdom of reusing bash code when porting to ARM.
>
> Can you explain what "reusing bash code when porting to ARM" has to do
> with a mail client or server that only sends base64-encoded text or a
> mailing list server that incorrectly appends non-encoded text to an
> encoded email?

I don't know the mta only sends base-64. It looks like it should be
able to handle ASCII as well.

>> Bash syntax is so well noted for it's quoting, that it may be rather a
>> pain to port.
>
> According to http://www.aosabook.org/en/bash.html, the Bash parser is
> implemented with Yacc or Bison, so I'd be very surprised if the
> relative ease of porting Bash has anything to do with its quoting
> abilities.

I noted that in some of the bug reports in respect of how gmail
handles data that "" was showing up as orphaned strings, in terms of
recombining headers and data. Whether or not this is strictly with
mime, or carries over to plain ASCII, I'm not sure.

>> Considering the number of mobile apps which must connect to the
>> internet in order to work correctly and especially those which might
>> involve GIS data formats, having a mta which handles only base 64 is a
>> likely possibility.
>
> By GIS, do you mean "Geographic information system" as described here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system ?
>
> If so, can you explain why GIS data formats used on a random mobile
> device would impact SMTP in any way?

The constant cartographic data, in respect of reporting device
location by GPS and other methods, which is being pushed from the
device, is overrunning the stack and clobbering the smtp pattern
buffer with high bit characters.

>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>
> The signature came through this time, so I looked and this last mail
> of yours came through as text/plain, which the apparently-decrepit
> list software handles just fine; perhaps you've found the magic "plain
> text only" switch?

Did both my sig and the appended tlug sig transport?

Thanks
Russell

> Ian

About me: