RAID/HDD 'identify' LED - how to activate

John Miles jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 28 03:08:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

Here is the scenario
I have a Supermicro 5025M-2U with a 3Ware 9650SE 8 port controller and a
Western Digital WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6B0 disk in it that is reporting an error.

The 3Ware CLI tool 'tw_cli' has a feature that would allow me to set the
'identify' LED to  on or off.
Unfortunately, I don't think I am able to turn this lovely light on, as the
device's "Identify Status = N/A".

/cx/px set identify=on|off (9550SX and 9590SE only)
    This command sets the LED status of the port. If the identify is set to
on, the firmware activates the setting of the corresponding LED of the port.
If the setting of the configuration for LED is blinking for identify=on,
this will blink the LED of the port.

******    Note: Enclosure services hardware is also required.  *******

    Example:

     //localhost> /c0/p5 set identify=on

     Setting Port Identify on /c0/p5 to [on] ... Done.

I guess, I need to determine if I have 'enclosure service hardware'

Does anyone have anything to suggest I try to determing if I have 'enclosure
service hardware'?
(not sure what to look for in say, dmesg for that info)

Thanks!

John.