sftp

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 30 18:07:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On May 30, 2011, at 12:54, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:01:11AM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> >> If the ftp daemon is spawned using inetd you could configure inetd
> >> to run a shell script instead which would do the prelogin stuff, run
> >> sftpd, then run other things after sftpd terminates. If sftpd is
> >> running all the time, this won't work.
> >
> > sftp is not a daemon, it is a subsystem of sshd.  It works over an
> > ssh connection, but not using the shell.
>
> Indeed.  You could move the sftp executable and put a shell script in its
> place that did what you wanted and then called sftp.  You'd probably need to
> use trap(1) if you want to do anything after the real sftp is done, as the
> connection may have dropped, etc.

Thanks everyone.  You've given me something to go on.

Cheers,

Randy

*It is evidence of an ambitious and presumptuous brain, full of vanity and
envy, to wish to persuade others that there is but a single way of
investigating and coming to the knowledge of nature; and of a fool and a man
without judgement to believe he possesses it.- Giordano Bruno *