Desktop hardware recommendation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 17 15:37:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 07:55:45PM -0400, John Myshrall wrote:
> AMD CPU & NVDIA GPU FTW IMHO.
>
> Gibabyte or Asus 880 or higher MB SATA 2 or 3 you need to decide.  I
> have just tried an ASROCK Mb and I'm not overly impressed.

I had sufficiently bad experiences with gigabyte in the past that I am
not sure I can ever consider them again.  ASRock is not an option.

> Always use a good power supply ie Antec or OCD buyer beware check
> the reviews.

Brand name means nothing in power supplies.  The design choices and
manufacturer are much more important.

> No Seagate or Samsung HD IMHO. Go with Western Digital.

Absolutely.

> Mind you Len's selections are quite good too and you wouldn't be
> wrong going that way.
>
> I'm just not an Intel fan and have been buying AMD since the early 90's.

I am a fan of who makes the best hardware.  These days that is clearly
intel.  AMD buying ATI was to me a very bad idea because it made nvidia
stop making chipstes for the AMD chips (and they were by far the best
chipsets AMD had).  The Pentium 4 was awful and I never even considered
buying one (the Athlon and Athlon 64 were much better).  The Core 2 and
now Core i have changed that.

> OK my wife's machine's is a Q6600.  I bought it a Q&D package she
> needed it ASAP and I was in an extremely lazy point in my life.

Yeah my wife has an i7 920 machine.  My mythtv box has a Q6600. :)

--
Len Sorensen