Desktop hardware recommendation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 17 15:28:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 07:33:54PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> An i7 based system around 600 isn't going to take advantage of the
> processor imo. I doubt you'll find a decent i7 for less than $225, add a
> motherboard and that's over $300 for a reasonable Asus board. An i5
> would likely be more appropriate.

There are two kinds of i7s.  The original tripple channel memory ones,
and the cheaper dual channel memory ones (which use much cheaper boards).
An i5 is a lot cheaper, and certainly mroe reasonable for a cheap system.
I still think $800 to $1000 is a way better target for a low end machine.
You can build something that will work well for a long time that way.

> Personal preference is AMD chips, but that's me. My current system
> consists of:
>
> Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
> AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black
> Patriot 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
> Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" 60GB (SSD for root filesystem)
> WD Caviar Black 1000GB, 7200RPM (a couple)
> OCZ ModXStream Pro 650W PSU
> Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6850

I have avoided AMD chips since the only chipsets available are the ATI
ones now.  I saw way too much trouble with those in the past, so I simply
don't trust them.  Just like their video cards.  Nice hardware, but a
long history of awful drivers, so I won't buy them.

--
Len Sorensen