Desktop hardware recommendation

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 23:55:45 UTC 2011

On 11-05-16 07:33 PM, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> On 5/14/2011 5:12 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> I went back to look for one of the 'what would Lennart Do?' posts on
>> the list and the last one I found was from a couple of years ago. If
>> someone were in the market for a solid performing system for $500 -
>> $600 today, what would be the quality hardware?
>>
>> I'm already sold on Western Digital for storage and NVidia for
>> graphics. I know Asus motherboards are generally solid, but don't know
>> what would be a current favourite. I'm assuming the Intel Core I7
>> processors are a good choice?
> An i7 based system around 600 isn't going to take advantage of the
> processor imo. I doubt you'll find a decent i7 for less than $225, add a
> motherboard and that's over $300 for a reasonable Asus board. An i5
> would likely be more appropriate.
>
> Personal preference is AMD chips, but that's me. My current system
> consists of:
>
> Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
> AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black
> Patriot 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
> Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" 60GB (SSD for root filesystem)
> WD Caviar Black 1000GB, 7200RPM (a couple)
> OCZ ModXStream Pro 650W PSU
> Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6850
>
> If you have a power supply, and cut out the SSD, to build the
> same thing with an equivalent Nvidia card comes in at $605-ish after tax
> and rebates using components from Canada Computers. The Video card can
> be an Nvidia 460 series too. This presumes you have a case as well.
>
> But you can save yourself a bunch of money if you just get more ram and
> an SSD for now..
>
> Jamon

AMD CPU & NVDIA GPU FTW IMHO.

Gibabyte or Asus 880 or higher MB SATA 2 or 3 you need to decide.  I
have just tried an ASROCK Mb and I'm not overly impressed.

Always use a good power supply ie Antec or OCD buyer beware check the
reviews.

No Seagate or Samsung HD IMHO. Go with Western Digital.

Mind you Len's selections are quite good too and you wouldn't be wrong
going that way.

I'm just not an Intel fan and have been buying AMD since the early 90's.

OK my wife's machine's is a Q6600.  I bought it a Q&D package she needed
it ASAP and I was in an extremely lazy point in my life.

John