new cpu upgrade

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 22:38:21 UTC 2011

On 11-05-09 12:31 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> i decided to upgrade my cpu, i have an athlonx64 dual-core and replaced it
>> with a phenom II quad-core. just wondering if this will affect my current
>> linux system in anyway?
>>
>> should i reinstall my system after i install the new cpu, does it even
>> matter?
>
> If the CPU is still compatible with the motherboard, it should all be
> good.  Compatibility with the hardware tends to be the troublesome
> part.
>
> The place I might expect an issue would be at the BIOS level; the BIOS
> might conceivably get a little confused about capabilities, which
> might lead to CPU capabilities being suppressed.  But I'd not expect
> you to get past the BIOS configuration without the BIOS noticing this,
> and giving opportunity to adjust anything that's adjustable at that
> level.  (E.g. - stuff akin to activating/deactivating hyperthreading,
> which, being an Intel thing, wouldn't be directly relevant to you.)

Well I am hoping I can get past the BIOS =), also just realized I hope
my mobo supports the extra wattage required to run this CPU, power
supply should have enough juice, otherwise I have to drop money for a
new mobo plus ram which I was trying to avoid! -oh dang! why did I see
the warning just now, stupid tigerdirect could not place that warning on
the top not bottom of the page?!?

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely