new cpu upgrade

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 11 03:29:21 UTC 2011

| From: Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
|
| On 11-05-09 12:31 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
| > On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
| > > i decided to upgrade my cpu, i have an athlonx64 dual-core and replaced it
| > > with a phenom II quad-core. just wondering if this will affect my current
| > > linux system in anyway?

| > If the CPU is still compatible with the motherboard, it should all be
| > good.  Compatibility with the hardware tends to be the troublesome
| > part.
| >
| > The place I might expect an issue would be at the BIOS level; the BIOS
| > might conceivably get a little confused about capabilities, which
| > might lead to CPU capabilities being suppressed.
|
| Well I am hoping I can get past the BIOS =), also just realized I hope my mobo
| supports the extra wattage required to run this CPU, power supply should have
| enough juice, otherwise I have to drop money for a new mobo plus ram which I
| was trying to avoid! -oh dang! why did I see the warning just now, stupid
| tigerdirect could not place that warning on the top not bottom of the page?!?

Suggestion:

Check manufacturer's site to see if the new microprocessor model is
supported.

- it may be unsupported

- it may be supported, but only with a BIOS update
  In this case, be sure to update the BIOS before swapping out the
  current processor.  This appears to be a common case.

- it may be supported, plain and simple

- the site may be silent on the issue

What do you mean by extra wattage?  Only the most extreme processors
upped the wattage, is yours one of these?  I think that anything up to
about 100W is fairly normal but some chips go to 120W or so (from my
memory which is not reliable).

More often new voltage requirements appear.  Those can be hard to
support on old motherboards.  I suspect that this problem was more
common in earlier generations.