new cpu upgrade

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 16:31:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> i decided to upgrade my cpu, i have an athlonx64 dual-core and replaced it
> with a phenom II quad-core. just wondering if this will affect my current
> linux system in anyway?
>
> should i reinstall my system after i install the new cpu, does it even
> matter?

If the CPU is still compatible with the motherboard, it should all be
good.  Compatibility with the hardware tends to be the troublesome
part.

The place I might expect an issue would be at the BIOS level; the BIOS
might conceivably get a little confused about capabilities, which
might lead to CPU capabilities being suppressed.  But I'd not expect
you to get past the BIOS configuration without the BIOS noticing this,
and giving opportunity to adjust anything that's adjustable at that
level.  (E.g. - stuff akin to activating/deactivating hyperthreading,
which, being an Intel thing, wouldn't be directly relevant to you.)