Intel Itanium

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 15:06:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 07:57:08AM -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> sounds like someone remembers the iAPX432 !! What a wonder that was.

Too bad it seems no one at intel remembered it. :)  I certainly don't
remember it, being I was only 6 when they released it and I was hence
born the year they started work on it.  But I have read about it.

The i860 didn't seem to be that popular either (the i960 seems to have
done better, but it isn't VLIW).

VLIW is good for a DSP or even a GPU.  It's not good for a CPU becasue
the compiler really can't in general make use of it.

--
Len Sorensen